Filthie's Mobile Fortress Of Solitude

Filthie's Mobile Fortress Of Solitude
Where Great Intelligence Goes To Be Insulted

Friday, 20 November 2015

It's Friday - And There's Whisky In The Jar! And It's Pay Day!!!

Which means, if you are a younger fella, it's time to get pished to the gills, chimp out, and hope you don't wake up in the p-tank down at the police station tomorrow.


 
Don't get the top shelf stuff down for this lot - they will drink whatever's in the jerry can....and sorry about your Treehouse Uncle Bob!
 

As a younger fella I was never prone to chimping out like that - but pouring booze into some guys is like pouring booze on a fire. I never understood that - alcohol makes me talkative and lazy. The worst I ever did was fall asleep outside beside the campfire on a fishin' trip - and couldn't make it to the sleeping bag. I had one of those ultra-comfortable new-fangled-circular-fold-out camp chairs and a cooler to prop my feet up on - and had the guys at La-Z-Boy beat seven ways to Sunday! I slept like a log all night and woke up covered in mosquito bites. I think I got siphoned for at least a couple quarts! I got up, puked in the bushes, then sat back down for a 'hair of the dog' at 6:30 in the morning to top up my fluids.

 
GAH.
 
 
Murphy and Darwin still stalk me but I am older and wiser now, and I take my booze very seriously. Of course booze is all a matter of taste and opinion and for me - I never developed an appreciation for Irish whisky because the few bottles I did have were unspectacular. The Irish have a nasty habit of triple distilling their whisky and for some men the stuff is ambrosia...but for me that third distillation kills the soul of a good malt. I wrote off Irish whisky wholesale - and in retrospect that may have been a grave mistake. One day I broke with my bias and bought a bottle of this:
 
Drop what you're doing. Now. Get out your wallet, go down to the liquor store and buy a bottle of this. Yes, it's that good. You may want to buy two. Maybe even three - one should be in your saddle bag for those colder rides.
 
 
I love Connemara. And I'll be damned, I woulda never have thunk the Irish would produce a single malt that would blow my beloved Scots right out of the water! Start with their standard bottling - I can't speak for their special bottlings that are all the rage now...but let me say this about that - I found a bottle of Connemara Cask Strength and put it in my collection. I know that a lot of the high test beers can get really manky - but that is not necessarily the case with high test scotch. I am not a big fan of Bowmore but bought a bottle of their cask strength rot gut about 10 years ago and it was superlative. I haven't seen it since and if I DO ever see it again I will buy two bottles - one to drink and one to hoard!!!
 
It's pay day. The bills are all paid, the family miser banker is happy. The guns are well stocked with ammo. I have a few coins left over with which to indulge myself!
 
Life is good. See ya at the liquor store!


3 comments:

  1. A few years ago one of my friends pushed three screwdrivers on me. I was fine until I walked back to my apartment, threw up three times, then fell into bed with my girlfriend and passed out. She thought it was funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since you give it such a hearty recommendation I shall have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It IS funny, Bob - as long as it's somebody else doing it! HAR HAR HAR!

    Let me know what you think BW!

    ReplyDelete