Filthie's Mobile Fortress Of Solitude

Filthie's Mobile Fortress Of Solitude
Where Great Intelligence Goes To Be Insulted

Sunday, 15 May 2016

The Sunday Roundabout

I sit here sunburnt to a tender3rd degree - a happy man.

This morning I went out to the RC airfield and established supremacy of the skies. When I got home late, instead of chores I took the dogs out for a long walk and questioned some local seniors about their suspicious activities. Oh, they all played the innocent... but I know better. We will be watching them all very closely and if they should take the merest step off the straight and narrow path of righteousness - me and my crime fighting K9's will be there to intercept and restore law and order!

After that I had a full slate of chores for the day. I was going to wash the bike and then the Dogmobile and then do some painting and yard work. I got the bike out and headed for the car wash but took a wrong turn...and then another one..and then another...and the next thing I knew I was out in the country headed to parts unknown! A long drive later I was deep in Alberta's Koobasaw Country - by Mundare.

It was awesome. The place was as quiet as a ghost town. I pulled off and parked on main street to savour the day and noticed this sullen old prick staring out the window at me. The guy obviously had a serious attitude problem with his staring - so I stomped over and started giving him the very hell of it!!!

 
15 minutes later I realized I was arguing with my reflection in a window! HAR HAR HAR! Used to have a budgie that would do that...


 
Mundare is the biggest koobasaw capital of the world. That is a statue of a giant roll of sausage but I think it looks like a couple of wrinkly old dinks. I suspect Uncle Bob and possibly Wirecutter posed for the artist. Yeecchchcht - now I want to wash my mind out with soap!
 
 
Spring is finally here; this tree was just filled with friendly bumble bees doing their thing. All the trees on main street were in bloom - and not a soul was around. I sat and soaked up the peace and quiet of small town Alberta. It's been over a year since I last did this.
 
 
This is some kind of church from one of the Soviet bloc countries - I think it's Ukranian. When the original church was built in the early part of the last century Canada's prime minister, Sir Wilfred Laurier - stopped in to check it out. I've never seen a bell tower like that - I suspect it can play tunes when run by a skilled musician.
 
 
At this point I realized I was wool-gathering and lit out for home - now about 85 clicks behind me. Another wrong turn on the Tofield Road offered up this gem:
 
 
The abandoned Ross Creek cemetery

 
 I must have passed this cemetery a dozen times but never had time to check it out. I saw the big marker but not the sign.  I saw two stones in it - that big one is a memorial to the Hallburg family - Samuel August and Emma Charlotte who pioneered here in the 1890's and early 1900's. It was overgrown and neglected but I did see a smaller stone further back. I have seen a few family cemeteries around the county from this time period and most are still kept up by the current land owners today. It was nice to finally stop, see what the stone was all about, and pay my respects to the Hallburgs.

So...it's been a mighty fine day! I had to be somewhere, I suppose - and I dunno if I got there or not...but I'm glad I went!

3 comments:

  1. Sometimes ya gotta play hooky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice day. I haven't done anything like that in a long while, and you remind me that I'm overdue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and BW have to team up for a bike run. And take lots of pictures. It will keep me busy for hours and hours finding all your stops on Google Earth. That's how I vacation now! :o)

    ReplyDelete