Filthie's Mobile Fortress Of Solitude

Filthie's Mobile Fortress Of Solitude
Where Great Intelligence Goes To Be Insulted

Sunday, 26 June 2016

Hung Over

Jeez Louise!

When I was a kid I could pound back the suds and still sorta function the next day. I even spent a day in Hell to prove it: one night as a kid I got schnockered and the next day (Saturday) - Pop was bringing in bales and needed a good day out of me. I will forever remember my penance, riding on the stuker behind the noisy baler with Pop up front on the tractor. The end of June, +30C, and the fuggin bales coming at me as fast as I could stack them were 40~80 lbs. Because bales are so scratchy you wear thick long sleeve shirts and jeans.

Last night I drank 5 beers. Five - and I am a good for nothing derelict today. I can't handle booze anymore. But: we had something to celebrate!!!!



We ran the engine for the first time last night. Scotty The Retard and Flapz came over and fussed and coaxed the engine into life. It's brand new, never been run...but it is a couple years old. We kept it just a smidge above idle - I have to run a forty minute break in burn on the ground before we dare the skies with it. But you can hear that low, cute little 4 cycle growl. That bird is gonna roar at full throttle and when it goes by at 40 kts barrel rolling - EVERYONE is gonna stand up and salute and cheer!!!!

I've downloaded this model on the simulator and hopefully can transition to the real bird this year...we'll see.

Oh gawd...what's going on in my small intestine...?!?!? Lawd have mercy...!!!!! If you'll excuse me, I might take a short trip on the porcelain bus. GAH! Maybe it was 7 beers...?

4 comments:

  1. A dear friend built a Steen Skybolt RC that had a chainsaw engine. I think it was 1:25th Scale? it was a thing of beauty and drilled straight into the ground at full throttle. Some little thing went haywire!
    Be careful with this wonderful plane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like a receiver failure and configuration problem. These models and radios are so sophisticated, Fiona, that they have 'fail safe' modes. For instance - if the receiver on my plane dies, the throttle gets cut and all the surfaces go to neutral positions - and it will supposedly glide in with minimal damage. If your friend's Skybolt failed with the throttle open - bad things can come of that!
      It happens to everyone and one of the rules of this sport is not to get attached to the models. They crash, we cry, we build new ones and do it all again!

      Delete
  2. You baled hay with a death dealing hangover? My hat is off to you, and I know that you weren't given a real choice in the matter. You stepped up and did the work, which is what we all did back then.

    I remember getting in kind of late, and Mom greeting me with a cheerful, "Good morning! I'm glad to see you up already - we've got a full day ahead of us." Walking in to breakfast was the toughest thing I ever did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a young man... now that I'm an old fart... I don't think a day on the stuker would work for me... :)

      Delete