Filthie's Mobile Fortress Of Solitude

Filthie's Mobile Fortress Of Solitude
Where Great Intelligence Goes To Be Insulted

Friday, 30 September 2016

Friday Night Rite Of Passage


From time to time Unca Bob expounds on the importance of Rites Of Passage (note the caps). These are life's events that mark milestones or transitions of great import - and are so important, that in some cases they should be ritualized and celebrated. He's right when he says we no longer observe the importance of them - and that it hurts us.


So who's Right Of Passage is this, anyways? One is tempted to say it belongs to the boy. He's about to form one of the most important bonds of his boyhood and assume responsibility for the mutt. The mutt will repay the boy tenfold for his investment.

But there's prolly one in there for the man too. Giving your son or grandson a dog is no small decision. Only a responsible elder can take up such a question and resolve it the way it should be.

I would like to think it went well for these three.

3 comments:

  1. There is no one rite of passage. There are several, small and large. We no longer place importance on them like we used to. Adults are no longer being produced. I could not wait to get my licence to drive. I just ran across a guy in his thirties and just got his.

    Rites of passage were goals you wanted to attain. It meant something. Hardly any one wants to fight for anything meaningful anymore because so few learned anything with meaning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That just blows me away too. My nephews are in their late 20's and neither drive. Last I heard my daughter didn't either.
      What happens if ya gotta be somewhere? Or if somebody gets hurt? Or a job opens up off the bus routes and requires a driver's licence? They complain about the cost of driving but refuse to see the potential payoffs.

      Delete
  2. I'll never forget my first dog. She was a stray, and we were feeding her. My folks were out on the town one night, and I coaxed her inside where she made herself at home and slept on my bed. I think my parents were quite surprised, but naturally we kept her. She was the very best dog any little boy could ask for.

    ReplyDelete