Filthie's Mobile Fortress Of Solitude

Filthie's Mobile Fortress Of Solitude
Where Great Intelligence Goes To Be Insulted

Sunday, 11 September 2016

Sunday Blade Fetish

I love knives. There's a meme that seems to go round now and then where all the guys haul out their blades and compare notes and chatter about the features and benefits of their preferred blades. Most of them buy those quick release flippers with the clip on the side that ride nicely in the pocket. They're damned good knives and very reasonably priced and there's no doubt they'll do the job. I carried one for years.


This was my pocket knife for years. Designed by some bum named Ken
Onion. Must be a Ukranian name...

It was just the ticket for cutting the twines on hay bales, skinning out deer and minor camp work. It only cost about $75.00 and the only reason it cost that much - was that the steel was top notch. The handle was a piece of chit, of course - but it was a good working blade.

Some people get pissy and nervous around guns and knives and I had become a sales guy of a sort - so I went to a more functional Leatherman. The bed wetters, pissers and moaners seem less threatened by it. But it really isn't a knife more than a tool.


Only the Americans could improve on the legendary
Swiss army knife.

I still carry it every day and will have to make a new sheath for it soon. I figured that it would be my last blade because I don't do a lot of camping, hunting and fishing anymore... and if I ever lost or broke this Leatherman I would probably not bother replacing it.

But one day I had to do some birthday shopping for Pop and risked going into Lee Valley. It's a dangerous place for a man like me because if I ever won a million bucks - I would go into Lee Valley and be broke the next day! They carry tools, gardening stuff, wood working stuff - and all of it is the top notch, coolest stuff you'll find on the market. You won't find much of their product line in Walmart, if ya catch my drift. I went in, sternly determined to buy Pop a set of chisels I had seen - AND THAT'S IT.

I was at the counter looking the chisels over and admiring them - then ordered the clerk to bag 'em up and charge me for them. She did so, and when she removed them off the glass topped counter, I saw a little pocket knife on the shelf below.


A Laguiole knife.
I was absolutely stunned. A friendly old ghost paid me a surprise visit. 

My grandfather was something of a dandy. He was always dressed to the nines, and even when he was mowing the grass and working in the garden - he was better dressed than most men. When I was a boy just old enough for his own first knife, Grampa briefly considered giving me his Laguiole - and then decided against it. I got a smaller cheapo jack knife from the gas station and it was better than a boy deserved, but I always wanted one like his. I hadn't seen a blade like this in  40 years - and here it was, sitting right under my nose. I was almost in a trance when I told the clerk to add the knife to my order. I didn't even look the price tag - I don't think it was much.

As an adult looking at this blade - it's not bad. It's not great either - it's more an elegant gentleman's knife than a working blade that I would have bought. But that wasn't the charm - the charm was that Gramps seemed to have somehow reached across the realms of the living and the dead - and given me a playful tweak on the nose!

When I got home I didn't know what to do with it. I stropped it up to a razor's edge - and put it in the drawer. For my day to day jobs I still use the Leatherman but from time to time I drag Grampa's knife out to open letters and bills and junk mail. Under better circumstances I would have my own grandson to pass it on to - it takes a force of will for me to clamp down on that particular train of thought.

You should have given my your knife when I was 5, Gramps. But no problem - when we meet again, you can pay me for this one.

:)

6 comments:

  1. You know Glen, you can adopt someone elses' kid as an honorary Grand kid...Every decent kid needs a proper "old Man" to show em how the world really works. Might not be blood, but it might not matter either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. There might be some merit in that, J.

      Delete
  2. You know Glen, you can adopt someone elses' kid as an honorary Grand kid...Every decent kid needs a proper "old Man" to show em how the world really works. Might not be blood, but it might not matter either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know why the posts double... Yeah, next time you see some neighbor kid watching what you are doing with wide eyed wonder, take him (or her) under your wing...Be good for the both of ya I bet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know why the posts double... Yeah, next time you see some neighbor kid watching what you are doing with wide eyed wonder, take him (or her) under your wing...Be good for the both of ya I bet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know why the posts double... Yeah, next time you see some neighbor kid watching what you are doing with wide eyed wonder, take him (or her) under your wing...Be good for the both of ya I bet.

    ReplyDelete