Filthie's Mobile Fortress Of Solitude

Filthie's Mobile Fortress Of Solitude
Where Great Intelligence Goes To Be Insulted

Wednesday, 12 October 2016

This Is Why I Choose Cremation

BW is whooping it up with his rowdy friends in the grave yard again.



Yet another fine historical find from Alberta's
most intrepid explorer.

Alberta has some pretty desolate places and BW charges right into them armed with a camera and a love and respect for our ancestors that is contagious. This lonely gravesite lies forgotten and overgrown, in some obscure part of the prairies. I suspect the person buried there was probably a high roller to warrant a plot like that, but who knows? Early Albertan communities were known to give their esteemed elders grandiose treatment on their deaths, and entire communities would chip in to make sure the best were laid to rest in style.  I want to find that place, drop by with a weed wacker and clean it up! The problem with that is that regardless of what the tall foreheads and the cool kids think - that is a historical site and you have to tread very, very lightly around such places.

I would hate like hell for my spot in the rock garden to end up looking like that though.

Some men want to leave monuments and legacies when they shuffle off this mortal coil. Since I don't have that kind of money, when I go over The Great Divide only a handful of people will notice and that's alright by me. If I have my way my ashes will be thrown to the winds in a place like this where the wind, the sky and the grass rule. As one of my favourite and missed black powder geeks used to say:

My soul to my Maker
My heart to the winds


How are you going to cash out when your time comes?



3 comments:

  1. I vote for the Viking funeral. Unfortunately, the Libbies in my corner of the 3rd Rock have regulated the environment to the point they're basically charging me to breathe! Pretty soon, they'll tax my farts! If I had my way, I'd have the kids send me off in a mini Viking ship, doused with napalm! YYYEAH!

    What the hell more could a retired Coast Guardsman ask for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've decided on cremation also, but because of the sinfully high costs of funerals and burials.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with you on the cremation idea.

    ReplyDelete