Filthie's Mobile Fortress Of Solitude

Filthie's Mobile Fortress Of Solitude
Where Great Intelligence Goes To Be Insulted

Monday, 14 November 2016

Bomber Service Station, Red Deer 1948











It's amazing how things have changed. There was a time a fella could make a living doing this. Apparently the owner sold out when his health failed in 1954. I dunno about you - but that strikes me as a mighty noble retirement enterprise. Back then Red Deer (or Dead Rear, as I prefer to call it) - would have been in the middle of nowhere. Today Gasoline Alley runs almost the entire length of the town - a couple miles - and the traffic is four lanes, non-stop.

5 comments:

  1. There's a lot to be said for the good ol' days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But for dogs sakes, where did the Lanc go? Find that bad boy Glen...

    ReplyDelete
  3. But for dogs sakes, where did the Lanc go? Find that bad boy Glen...

    ReplyDelete
  4. They were going to recommission it for firefighting duty in the 50's. They did a ground up restoration and replaced all the engines.

    On run up, a fire broke out in the nose section and scuttled the bird. It was sold for scrap.

    I had heard that the old farts in Nanton down in BW Bandy country were working at restoring another Lancaster but that was years ago and they had miles to go when I saw it. But that was back in the 80's.

    It might even be finished now, who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  5. There was a B17 on a station out west in the US someplace. I hear that it is now being restored. B17s are common as dirt compared with Lancasters. I have seen the Canadian Warbird Heritage one fly several times, and in fact sheltered under it for a quick thunderstorm....In Ontario, on the way to my Brothers place there is (or was last time I went up there) a derelict T6 (harvard) off the side of the highway, but I could not figure out how to get to it. Hard to believe the old aircraft were once just junk...

    ReplyDelete