Filthie's Mobile Fortress Of Solitude

Filthie's Mobile Fortress Of Solitude
Where Great Intelligence Goes To Be Insulted

Friday, 4 November 2016

Little Victories

As I get older I start seeing all the little victories and triumphs that I missed as a young man growing up. I'm in my 50's and getting some aches and pains that plague only mean ugly old farts like Uncle Bob and WL and BW and WC and CM and Victor Quartermain etc... and the unfairness of it brings a tear to the eye.

HAR HAR HAR! Couldn't happen to a nicer guy, right?  :) HAR HAR HAR!!!

This morning a frail, thin old boy tried to hold the door for me at the bank. The wind kicked up and the fella planted his cane and his feet, and threw every ounce of his frail 97 lb. frame into it - and by God Almighty, he held that door like a champ and was starting to buckle by the time I managed to get to the door and take the strain. For me, all I had to do was park my enormous beer gut against it and then I could hold it in gale force winds of a typhoon - but for that old gent? He fought a pitched battle and was more than a little proud of himself - I could barely see it in the slight smile he gave me. I just nodded at him and gave him a curt nod and a businesslike 'Thank you very much, sir' and we both pretended to think nothing of it as we went on our separate ways.

As for me, when I stop being the youthful spring chicken I am today, and turn into a weathered old fart I am not gonna be a gallant fella like that old boy was - I am gonna get a wheelchair and make the poor slobs around me do all the work!

 

Mr. Caballero here thought he was smart - Fah! My chair will be electric and the only time I'll get outta that sucker is when I'm at the liquor store blowing my CPP cheque on a top shelf bottle of scotch! It's gonna be AWESOME. "Honey, can you pick up the dog crap and mow the grass?" No! "Can you shovel the snow off the sidewalk?" Get bent! To hell with the Thunderbox - I'm getting a BED PAN!

I shouldn't jest, I suppose. This morning I was so damned lazy and my foot and back were a blazing masses of pain - and my wonderful wife walked my no-good dogs for me. Now that I think of it, that was a little tragedy and loss! I shoulda just sucked it up and gone out and walked the hoople heads myself. I was a pussy. That old fart would have done it, and he probably would have walked those mutts into the ground too!

There is big inspiration to be found in little victories, I suppose.

2 comments:

  1. Trust me, you're more right than you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard you found your saw. Get back to work, you! ;)

    ReplyDelete