Filthie's Mobile Fortress Of Solitude

Filthie's Mobile Fortress Of Solitude
Where Great Intelligence Goes To Be Insulted

Tuesday, 1 November 2016

Old School Cool

 
 
GIBMEIT!!!!
I love the 'trash can' heads of the old Indians.
This one is in Putrid Orange - a colour that was banned as a crime
against humanity shortly after the 70's.
I would give my left nut for one in Lime Green.

One often hears the sentiment from the older old farts that 'they don't build 'em like they used to'. And no - they don't. The reason for that is that today's cars and motorbikes are light years BETTER than anything built as recently as 10 years ago. My big cruiser, for example: you change the oil and put gas in it. Every other year ya do an air filter maybe. And you replace the tires when they burn off. These old Indians and Harleys are FAMOUS for being finicky and fussy to run. Harley, prior to 1980 - built overpriced buckets of bolts that were a rip off at half the price. I know, I could get shot for saying that in the wrong place and it would be a justifiable homo-cide, but the truth IS what it is. (As a sop to the cool kids, I will admit that Harley has since upped its game and is producing much better machines today - but they're still grossly over priced).

Some of the younger kids (I was one) lust after these old machines not knowing the score about them. A bike like this comes out at a parade or civic holiday or for special occasions AND THAT'S IT. Parts are unobtanium - you either scavenge them at a price that would choke a Albertan oil man, or you make them from scratch - and the machinists that do that kind of thing don't grow on trees. This machine is a work of love. You don't own a machine like this, you take care of it for the next owner to pass on to the generation after him. These things are better thought of as artifacts.

If you need a machine for getting around, be sensible and get a modern machine made for getting around. If you want to be smart about it - get a metric bike. They are dirt cheap and more reliable than the Harleys and modern reincarnations of the Indian, and infinitely superior to the old antiques like this.

Being smart is often incredibly difficult and painful sometimes.

7 comments:

  1. My 1963 Ford Galaxie was a beautiful car. It's still one of my favorites, with the 390 engine, power windows (almost NONE of the Galaxies had them), and A/C that would literally blow snowflakes in 100+* southern California heat. It was reliable too, for its day. My kids don't get it when I tell them that I had to tune that thing up every 3K miles; points, plugs, rotor, cap, gap the plugs, timing and dwell; EVERY 3K MILES! And that was for a RELIABLE car! Then there were the lube jobs, packing the wheel bearings, the yearly flush and change of the antifreeze and hoses; you name it. That old Gal was a beautiful car, but you had to WANT IT.

    As for M/C's; I bleed red, white, and blue. Nothing sounds like a Harley. That being said, it's too bad Harley can't do what the Japanese makers can; build a beautiful, reliable bike that the average American can afford! And so, when I feel the urge to get some bugs in my teeth, I fire up the '04 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic, and go... beautifully, reliably, and cheaply...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who's to say you're not red, white and blue driving a Yamahappy, Pete? Most of our metric bikes are being built right here in America - by Americans. I am familiar with the V-Star - they are and always have been super nice machines. They may have been designed in Japan, and the company may well be headquartered in Japan - but that bike was conceived to be built by and for Americans. It is all too easy for gullible rubes like me to forget that with the marketing machines of Harley and Indian playing who can play my soul like a fiddle. But the question is - how 'red, white, and blue' do ya wanna get?

      I've heard a scandalous rumour that Harley is getting some of its proprietary parts made in China, now. If true, I dunno if I could forgive Harley or not.

      Delete
    2. Harley parts... from CHINA???? Say it aint' so... Say it ain't SOOOOOOooooo!

      Next thing you'll tell me is that Harley is being bought out by AMF again... Hell; with Chinese parts, they shouldn't have any trouble getting Harleys to leak oil all over the place again!

      Delete
  2. Being smart is indeed painful at times. I see a lot of guys get bikes later in life and get a big new expensive machine to start off with. If you are getting a bike for the first time get something smaller (the small ones still go insanely fast) and used. You won't feel so bad if something happens to a used bike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, if you are willing to buy used - there is no argument for the high end bikes period. Shoot, you spend twice the time in the saddle than your average big bike saddle and you are doing just awesome with that little scoot you ride. For what you do I can't think of a better bike for the mission either...

      Delete
    2. Friend of mine wants to get their first bike and they are looking at a Yamaha V-Star 650. I think that is a nice size to start off with.

      Delete
    3. My first bike was a 'Kaw Vulcan 500. I rode the CRAP out of that bike, and the only thing I did was change the oil and tires once in a while. I love my V-star for the long rides and for its stability, but that old Vulcan will always be a good memory. 'Anyone looking for a "first bike" can't go wrong with one of these!

      ...And the cost? $1200.00 US... at a yard sale... with 12K miles on the odie...

      Delete