Filthie's Mobile Fortress Of Solitude

Filthie's Mobile Fortress Of Solitude
Where Great Intelligence Goes To Be Insulted

Tuesday, 15 November 2016

Scribblerians

BW is now mastering the art of penmanship over at his blog and I am just green with envy.

One is tempted to scoff at guys our age re-learning skills we had in elementary school but consider: there are no errors in that scribble that I can see. There are no strike throughs and repeats, no ink blorts, or any of the other typical problems I encounter with fountain pens. BW is doing alright and if he keeps it up he'll be off to the races in short order. He writes in a clear manly hand whereas I have been told by the ignoratti that I write like a woman. :(

 
Are my GIFs working on your computer? On mine
some of 'em get stalled and won't work...
I hope this comes through because
it shows how effortless it is - for
a master.

This is a calligrapher's pen that ya gotta dip in the ink and constantly clean. I could never get them to work either. My grandmother used to be able to do stuff like that with perfectly executed flourishes on all her correspondence.

I used to have passable penmanship skills but years of work and neglect kinda left them rotting on the vine, HAR HAR HAR! A guy like me can't have fine pens. I don't even get on well with ball points. In the summer the fuggin things explode in my pocket and in winter they freeze. By rights I should be making notes in my daytimer in Crayola - but have found the ultimate solution for the man who needs to write in adverse conditions:

 
Behold: The Staedtler Drafting Pencil.
These things are built hell for stout, feature a 2mm pencil lead, and that
push button thingy at the top pulls out and works like a sharpener.

I've been on these for the last 22 years. I've never broken one - but I've lost several. (In point of fact a few were stolen by unscrupulous customers for the most part). They aren't cheap, I think they go for about 20 bucks at Staples. They are the most durable writing instruments I have ever come across - and I highly recommend them to men like myself that don't get along with pens.

2 comments:

  1. I really like Staedtler pens. Trying to find them. If I want any I have to special order them. No one seems to carry them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a new art form out there based on those things. Because you can get them in all the colours and in a wide variety of thicknesses...you can do some stellar line art with them. I'm pretty sure they have competitors now too, BW...

      Delete