Filthie's Mobile Fortress Of Solitude

Filthie's Mobile Fortress Of Solitude
Where Great Intelligence Goes To Be Insulted

Friday, 10 February 2017

Asymetrical Christianity





I believe in God. Or a God. I can feel it: I felt it when the engine crapped out on my ultralight flexwing, and I had a choice of a forced landing in either a sewage lagoon or a standing crop of canola. (I chose the canola). Last year some fuggin mud-flap packie decided to take my lane on the highway and slam on the brakes - the laws of impulse, momentum and impact do not favour motorcycles when they tangle with cars. I have felt the presence of our Creator when Pop and I pulled our first calf, or just sitting round the campfire in deer season waiting for the sun to come up. There's a reason we're here, there's a reason why we hurt and feel pain, and there's a payoff for being a 'good' person. I believe that if you are a bad person - what goes around comes around. Not always - but more often than not.


I've been through any number of faith vs. science debates. I try to stay out of them now. However, if some idiot goes out of his way to piss me off and get under my skin about it, I will exercise MY rights to an opinion and get in HIS face and rub HIS nose in my views rudely too. I believe - but I am not a saint and I WILL deal with bad people if they try to hurt or take advantage of me. I have my own problems with classical Christianity vs modern science too. I've chosen to listen to both sides but ultimately it's my Maker that will end that argument. I will not debate the fact that there are any number of liars, villains, cudgels and black hearts posing as devout Christians either. There's not as many now as there were back when I was a kid - the vast majority of immoral people are finding better ways to take advantage of and control others in roles as activists, community organizers and protesters. The religious zealot and sanctimonious crusader is still very, very much alive - he's just changed horses.

I look at Christian communities backwards - the same way I look at the used car or used gun market. If I want to buy a used gun or a used car - or whatever - the first thing I do is go on ebay.ca and look at the market. I look at the product I am considering. If I am looking at a Ford Phlegm 3-1/2 cylinder chit box - and I see a pile of them for sale on ebay or kijiji then I know that there's lots of people dissatisfied with them and therefore a goodly chance I will be too. Conversely, years ago I saw a Ruger Red Label shotgun on the used gun rack and I am still kicking myself today - I should have bought it because I haven't seen one for sale since and that was decades ago. People hang on to Ruger Red Labels because they're damn good guns.

So it goes: I look at a church or a Christian community the same way. I don't look at the preacher - he's gonna do what he's gonna do just as any preacher does. I look at the people. When I see good folks doing good things and walking the walk - I can bet that if they are listening to a certain man... maybe I should give him a hearing too. If I see people I know and respect, you can bet I will be all ears. If I see a bunch of unlikeable stupid people - maybe I oughtta give that one a pass.

The same principle can be applied to anything I guess. Look at the queers: when they first came out of the closet all they wanted was the privacy of their own bedrooms. (Of course, anyone with a stitch of sense KNEW that this wouldn't end well but it was politically incorrect to say so. I did but people called me names and laughed at me). As time went on they wanted to marry. When they got out of the closet and into the bedrrom - the next thing ya know, they were tearing and clawing at the doors to the courtrooms, the boardrooms, the class rooms and now the fuckers are in the bathrooms - trying to piss people off with their inverted morality and ethics. Now they want to censor speech, infringe on our rights, and fill the country with fuggin moslems that will hate them and kill them if given a chance! None of 'em are happy, we've given them everything and all they know is that their misery is all OUR fault. That shit is spreading now to the pan/transgenders, the negroes, and a whole zoo full of identity groups. They are either too dumb or too distraught to understand that if they put a knife into us (the mainstream cig-gendered average Joe) - they will ultimately shiv themselves.

When my daughter refused to grow up and went to live under the rainbow as a militant lesbian gay hipster it destroyed me. Hell, it ripped our family to shreds too. EVERYONE is angry, NOBODY is happy and we are not unique. Awhile back I got into a blog battle with The Mohave Rat who is a militant atheist and definitely pro-queer. If you wanna tell me he's a happy and contented man - welp, whatever. Captain Capitalism has been taken into the boards hard  a few times too - but he'll be alright. He's still bitter and angry about stuff and it's really hard to let some chit go. I am too. (Yannow, that's something else I don't get. I know men and women that get divorces - messy ones - and yet they can just shrug that ol' broken heart off like it was nothing and keep carrying on and smiling. I envy them their strength of character... I can't do it myself and it's damned hard work to bury the bodies and move on. Your mileage may vary).

My wife is like that -  she's a big wheel in her church now. Every Sunday she puts on her finest and still turns heads in her 50's. She picks up the old biddies and widowers and they go do Prayer Night on Wednesdays at the chapel and chatter like birds afterwards. The seniors love her because she listens to them and keeps them company. On Tuesday's she doing the church girls club and they do arts n crafts while the parents have a night off to do chores and errands or just relax for awhile, knowing their kids are safe and in the hands of somebody that loves them and cares for them as much as they do. Even I go to church sometimes now and the fellas treat me like a king and I try to reciprocate.

The ol' nickel goes that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. That's true enough as far as it goes - but sometimes grease is only a temporary answer, and the wheel isn't the source of the problem. Sometimes it's worth the effort to step back and try and look at things from another perspective.

And sometimes a silly old stubfart should wise up and take his own advice, HAR HAR HAR!

Happy Friday!

5 comments:

  1. You're right on multiple counts, Glen. And the squeaky wheel thing; grease won't fix a bad bearing. It'll just shut it up for a while, as it prepares to lock suddenly; as good an analogy for our current state of affairs as any...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. I haven't darkened a church door for several years, mostly because most churches aren't worth even visiting. I DO miss the fellowship, but believe my faith is as strong, or stronger, than ever. However, my preference would be to attend a reasonable church if I could find one. One problem is that Christians, and especially preachers, are so bad about lying to themselves on so many fronts. I have to cringe, though, when agnostics and atheists belittle Christians, though, for THEY are lying to themselves even worse. It's "human" nature, it's said, but guess where THAT comes from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ayup. There's a church behind us and I think they regard their faith as either a hobby or an inconvenient social obligation. They flood in there on Sunday at the last minute and battle each other with road rage trying to park. Afterwards they're all trying to leave at once and they're giving each other the finger and the horn in the parking lot as they try to escape.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete