Filthie's Mobile Fortress Of Solitude

Filthie's Mobile Fortress Of Solitude
Where Great Intelligence Goes To Be Insulted

Sunday, 14 May 2017

Artistic Opinions Needed



Awhile back I decided the time had come to retire from serious riflery and marksmanship - and become one of the useless old rod n' gun club stubfarts that clutters up the firing line with archaic weapons, curios and relics. One of our members, long passed, used to be out there with his soot burning front stuffing flinter, dressed in a flawless capote.


A capote is was made from a Hudson's Bay blanket. This one looks
like a bathrobe, but a real capote
would often have horn or antique coins for buttons.
I had to admit the old fart looked pretty good in it.
One day I am going to have one of these.

Dedicated black powder geeks and weirdos that dress up in period authentic clothes are called buck skinners. It appeals to the old boys because everything they wear and use has to be hand made... and it keeps their hands busy and gives them something to do during long cold winter months.

I love black powder (properly referred to as The Holy Black) and I have a muzzle loader... but I am more fond of cartridge guns. About a year ago I procured a couple of BPCR guns (Black Powder Cartridge Rifles) - and started melting lead, shooting, stinking ... and thinking about my accouterments that I am gonna need. To start off with, I needed a proper cartridge belt for my 45-70 buffalo gun.



I dunno who this bum is (might be Firehand
from Elm Tree Forge) - but he has that big leather cartridge belt
stuffed with 50-120 paper patched cartridges.
I needed something along those lines too.

Custom leather cartridge belts aren't cheap - I saw one beauty going for $600.00 US. It was elaborately tooled with custom conchos and was a work of art.


Not bad at all. This leatherworker knows his stuff.



Nice, but I don't care for the lacing...


Nice! Wonder if I could make something similar... without
paying an arm and a leg for it...?


I used to do shit house leather work but I sucked at it and quit. But the idea of shelling out $600.00 for a belt stuck in my craw so I dug out all the junk and took a shot at making my own.


I wanted this one to have a distressed or antique look to it... you can tell
it was hand made by an amateur... but it works.


I found some beat up old buckles and used them in my arts n crafts project


The pros have all the machines and tools, and more importantly, they know how to used them. Mine is a little rough and you can tell it was made by a piker and not an artisan. It has three conchos and some antique brass studs to add some bling to it. It probly isn't close to historically correct but that was not its intent - I just wanted a different way to carry ammo.

So here's my question to you: should I add a few more conchos - or walk away and leave it alone?


This is the back of the belt as it stands now.... The belt has 3 three conchos on
leather patches and depict bears, elk and big horn rams.



Should I put on two more to bling it up a little? This is what it would look
like if I installed two more...

Peer pressure is murderous amongst old gun club stubfarts and you can get bullied and picked on by the other black powder geeks if your clothes are unfashionable and ya don't fit in with the cool kids.

As always, your thoughts and opinions are sincerely appreciated.

Have a great Sunday.

4 comments:

  1. Put the added conchos on it; it looks good. Better than I could ever do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some folks get all crazy about being "authentic." The bottom line is that the old-timers used what ever they could lay their hands on and/or whatever they could afford or make themselves (and most of them were amateurs, too). The only thing you have to watch out for are anachronisms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Add the conchos. I think you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well thanks for saying so Joy - and thanks for stopping by! I guess we have a consensus!

    ReplyDelete