Filthie's Mobile Fortress Of Solitude

Filthie's Mobile Fortress Of Solitude
Where Great Intelligence Goes To Be Insulted

Wednesday, 10 May 2017

Is Moving For A Job Worth It?



I've always been firmly convinced the answer to that is 'no'. Especially here in Alberta where oil is king - and that king lives and dies with alarming frequency. I just spent 15 minutes shooting the breeze with a former customer that just got laid off. She is going back to Morontario where she says jobs are more plentiful.

I bought a small home 17 years ago and paid it off. I owe on my wife's car but could pay that off today if I wanted - it only has another year on it anyways, at .9% or something like that. Sure, I could stay here... but I will probably end up semiretarded semiretired sooner than I want. And although I wouldn't mind finishing my career off in the gun or hobby shop or even on a forklift in the warehouse... but I just don't want that right now. I spent a lot of years in going back to school, retraining and trying to get ahead.

I see a lot of guys have moved where the winds have taken them and they end up with titles, career advancement and increased worth on the job market... but a lot of 'em ended up with bigger bills too - paying for extravagant homes in isolated towns like Ft. Mac, for example. Some retire with a mortgage and I don't want to do that either! Some have even told me I did right to sit tight here, with a fluctuating economy, living small and smart. A lot of those big spenders from the boom times are chitting bullets now that they have all those bills and sporadic income coming in.

My friend on the phone today is less than happy about her situation. When I get laid off, I am going out to the rod n gun club, parking my Tiltin' Hilton camp trailer... and I am going to just chill and shoot. That is as far ahead as my escape plan goes.

What would YOU do?

8 comments:

  1. Damned if I know. Alberta's economy can go from superheated to life support. I think an provincial election will be called next year and things will rebound for various reasons. Then again, what do I know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dunno either BW. I am thinking the worst is yet to come because all that is going on now, construction-wise, is municipal and infrastructure. Industrial is just flat out dead! I think our Dipper friends are wracking up debt at speeds that would make the average Albertan wretch if they were aware of it. I hope not... but Dippers are what they are and if nothing else, they seem to be entirely predictable...

      Delete
  2. 'Depends on how much you like it where you are, Glen. Me? I'm LOOKING for an excuse to leave the nanny state I live in! Having a good-paying job at my age is one of the VERY few reasons I still live where I do! If I were you, and liked where I lived, I'd stand pat. Your house is paid off. Your vehicles are almost so. Your overhead is really low right now, and you KNOW PEOPLE. JUST THE MOVE would set you back thousands. You'd still end up being an unemployed "man of a certain age," and you'd know NO ONE. ...Just my two cents... Damn! Now I'm broke! 'Got a loon I could borrow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was born n' raised here Pete. But for the first time in my life I can do anything I want - I only have to answer to my wife! Before it was the kids, the in laws, my parents, bills, mortgages, and other chains and obligations that dictated what I did. I can even walk off this job if I want - and I am seriously considering it - but a guy needs a plan and a place to go...

      Some serious campfire time and prognostication is called for.

      Delete
    2. And beer... Don't forget the beer...
      Oh; and those fireworks you were talking about!

      Delete
  3. We left Calgary for Central Alberta 3 years ago for oilfield related work. Now all the work isn't local anymore, but I'm not moving again. I am the right amount of distance from my mother and am happy enough here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you in Red Deer then, Jenn? Family wise I have relatives I want to be close too, and others I don't want to share the solar system with.

      I just discovered your blog, BTW - and it was a treat.

      Delete
  4. What would I do? About the same thing you're going to do. When I got the news, I'd take the rest of the day off, and the day after that. Then I'd get the resume together and start looking for another job.

    ReplyDelete