Filthie's Mobile Fortress Of Solitude

Filthie's Mobile Fortress Of Solitude
Where Great Intelligence Goes To Be Insulted

Sunday, 18 June 2017

And Now A Post About Responsible Habits And Finances



Back before the turn of the last century I decided to quit tobacco. I quit cold turkey and chewed gum and tooth picks and I looked like a druggie having the DT's for about a month or so. After that I felt like shit for a couple months and it finally went away. If you smoke - you should quit. Yeah, I love tobacco as much as you do and no bones about it. But - if Filthie can do it, anyone can!

I figured I would buy a fishin' boat as a reward for myself if I stayed on the wagon long enough to accrue the savings the way this woman advocates saving for a Ferrari. A year and a bit later I bought The HMCS River Pickle - a small dirigible boat with a 10 HP motor. I had visions of fishing on pristine lakes at first light while sipping coffee from a thermos... but didn't count on my fellow man. They had jet skis, water-craft, and boats with V8 inboards running speakers at decibel levels up there with jumbo jets! When they went by at speed I would almost capsize in my little rubber boat. I still managed to catch a few fish though.

Like an idiot, I started smoking and chewing again 5 years later and had to quit all over again in 2009. Been clean ever since. I don't give a hoot what the health Nazis have to say about tobacco - what got me was having to interrupt my day to go smoke. That, and the cost. Tobacco sales are a tax on the stupid and there's no bones about that either - I speak from experience! HAR HAR HAR!

I don't have a Ferrari or any other trappings of wealth. But nor do I have any real debt. Even my credit cards are paid off at the end of the month. I have a year to go on the wife's car and could pay that off now if I wanted but the interest rate is only 0.9%. I have a modest savings account and more goddamn guns and RC airplanes than I know what to do with. I also have TWO hoople-headed dawgs.

I dunno when it happened, but though I am not rich - I'm free. Actually, I do know when my emancipation occurred: it happened the day I decided to quit tobacco. If you can do that - you can do anything else you set your mind to.




2 comments:

  1. Tobacco is my state's ATM. with all the taxes the nannies have put on it, a pack of smokes sits at $10.00+. 'Too many people quitting and driving down the uptake of dead presidents? Simple; invite in a few million illegal immigrants who still smoke, and have no plan to stop. Heck; half of those people still think mercury is a vitamin! ...And so it goes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to smoke. I quit, and it was the toughest thing I ever did. I wish I could still smoke. I'd smoke a pipe, or the occasional cigar.

    ReplyDelete